Saturday 17 March 2012

Kente Cake- Mother's Day


I thought long and hard about what cake design would best reflect this Mothering Sunday. I deeply wanted something unique and I sought for inspiration and colours which would personify 'Mum'.
When I went to Ghana last year, my lovely and dearest grandma aka ol' lady, gave me Kente cloth. Kenta is the most valuable Ghanaian cloth made using a mixture of silk and cotton, which is interwoven to create beautiful patterned-fabric. This is the principle cloth worn by the Ashanti King, see link http://www.flickr.com/photos/imknowmadic2/4152906405/in/set-72157622921000430

The colours of course do have their symbolic meaning and that's how I developed the 'Kente Cake'.

These are my favourite Kente colours;

Maroon – colour of mother earth, healing
Yellow/ gold – wealth, fertility
Blue – love and harmony
Green – growth
Black – maturity
White – joy, serenity



So, this is to all mothers out there, especially those who've become mothers for the first time this year. Enjoy the adventures of motherhood - I'll join you someday.





So mothers, as well as a cloth-inspired cake I'm spoiling you rotten with a present with a bow on it.






No comments:

Post a Comment